What to expect from your doctor
How did you find your physician after you graduated from school, moved into another city, or simply needed care you haven't sought before? Called a family member, trusted friend, or browsed the internet hoping you will find something to help you make the decision?
I was lucky enough to have a physician friend who gave me referrals to the care I needed. But even then, getting an appointment within days (even weeks) of the first call was close to impossible, and the nurses/receptionists always tried to offer someone else who "could take you in earlier". That usually felt an awkward feeling, like I've been pushed onto someone who has capacity (does that mean they are no good?), or someone who has just started to practice (why do they have to practice on me??) The overall process is a "black box", and patients are simply spectators who are left to believe they are getting the best that they can.
Even a healthy 30-year old like myself needs a few doctor's visits annualy, just to keep up with the checkups. How many of us are truly satisfied with the quality of care that we receive as patients? As I reflect on the past 2-3 years of my experience with the primary healthcare providers, I THINK I can say I am resonably healthy. I haven't been told that it wasn't (but noone yet explained to me what are the things I should proactively be thinking about/doing). Most of my visits to physicians were underwhelming experiences where I wasn't able to get answers to the questions I was asking - let me pause here and admit that I am also a scientist who knows a little about medicine, so perhaps my bar is higher. Nevertheless, how much time during a visit is dedicated to patient's questions? If you think about it, between filling insurance forms, waiting for the nurse who takes blood pressure (and asks medical history questions which are then revisited with the physician anyway), how much time do we really get with our healthcare provider? And during that time, how often does the doctor sit with you and talk about your condition (whatever it may be) vs typing on a computer, filling medical charts, or simply talking about something you don't really care about?
I have to admit that I met a few doctors who impressed me with their command of the subject, knowledge, and willingness to explain and listen. Wouldn't it be nice to know which ones are like that from that list you get from your Mom/uncle/friend....?
I was lucky enough to have a physician friend who gave me referrals to the care I needed. But even then, getting an appointment within days (even weeks) of the first call was close to impossible, and the nurses/receptionists always tried to offer someone else who "could take you in earlier". That usually felt an awkward feeling, like I've been pushed onto someone who has capacity (does that mean they are no good?), or someone who has just started to practice (why do they have to practice on me??) The overall process is a "black box", and patients are simply spectators who are left to believe they are getting the best that they can.
Even a healthy 30-year old like myself needs a few doctor's visits annualy, just to keep up with the checkups. How many of us are truly satisfied with the quality of care that we receive as patients? As I reflect on the past 2-3 years of my experience with the primary healthcare providers, I THINK I can say I am resonably healthy. I haven't been told that it wasn't (but noone yet explained to me what are the things I should proactively be thinking about/doing). Most of my visits to physicians were underwhelming experiences where I wasn't able to get answers to the questions I was asking - let me pause here and admit that I am also a scientist who knows a little about medicine, so perhaps my bar is higher. Nevertheless, how much time during a visit is dedicated to patient's questions? If you think about it, between filling insurance forms, waiting for the nurse who takes blood pressure (and asks medical history questions which are then revisited with the physician anyway), how much time do we really get with our healthcare provider? And during that time, how often does the doctor sit with you and talk about your condition (whatever it may be) vs typing on a computer, filling medical charts, or simply talking about something you don't really care about?
I have to admit that I met a few doctors who impressed me with their command of the subject, knowledge, and willingness to explain and listen. Wouldn't it be nice to know which ones are like that from that list you get from your Mom/uncle/friend....?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home